Saturday, June 30, 2012

Melanoma-Pancreatic Cancer Link

A huge "thank you" to the person who did the search earlier today for how are melanomas and pancreatic cancer linked together. I have already blogged about the link between melanoma and breast cancer, and men, just like that post was for you, so's this one. For everyone with a pancreas, that is. I didn't know there is a link. But there is. My hunch is that eventually science will find all cancers are linked in various ways.

For now, people with a family history of melanoma need to add "pancreatic cancer" to their growing list of concerns. I'm the kind of person that finds knowledge invaluable and life-saving. I believe ignorance can be deadly. I may wish there was no link between these two cancers, but since there is, I want to know about it. And I need to pass along what I learn.

Since this is brand new to me and not to others who are already working on this, I'm simply going to provide a list of links and let you, the reader, follow these leads to your heart's content. Some are more technical than others. Please, if you have children, pay close attention to any warnings you may come across regarding vigilance where they are concerned. Keep in mind that this research appears to be fairly new and while the current statistics are relatively low, they still represent people and families.

http://www.cancer.net/patient/Cancer+Types/Familial+Malignant+Melanoma

http://www.cancer.net/patient/All+About+Cancer/Genetics/The+Genetics+of+Pancreatic+Cancer

https://www.myriadpro.com/test-offerings/genetic-testing/melaris?page_id=144

http://medschool.creighton.edu/medicine/centers/hcc/hct/pancreas/index.php

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/genetics/skin/HealthProfessional/page4

Again, thank you to the person who initiated this with a mere search term. This post isn't meant to frighten but to inform. Knowledge is power.

And I am grateful that is so.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to be "Debbie Downer" again. My husband's mother died from pancreatic cancer in 1998. He was 2 when his parents were divorced and he never knew his father. My husband was diagnosed with in-situ melanoma in 2002. My husband had the Melaris test done in 2009, the first time we had been told about the genetic test. His results were negative for pancreatic cancer and we were happy; we were in the clear. He was diagnosed with Stage IV melanoma in February 2011 and passed away in January 2012.

    I still believe in the test.


    Maureen
    Missing WJH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not "Debbie Downer." You've been through the wringer. I appreciate how you share from your experiences. There's still so much to learn.

      Delete

Thank you.