Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Walk On...For A Cure...November 17

So, I wake up this morning and Elvis is serenading me, singing "Walk On" and he keeps singing, over and over, "And you'll never walk alone!" It has to be the song because (duck Carol) I've never been an Elvis fan. I know. That's not something a sane person admits to, but I think I'm strong enough to handle all the cybertomatoes being flung my way right about now.


I hope you're playing that and listening as you read, because folks, there's going to be a WALK and we're walking with a purpose and we're walking together! We're walking for a cure! I don't think many people fully understand what a cure for melanoma would mean to the cancer-world at large! But we're walking with that hope in our hearts...man, sing it Elvis!

Mark your calendars for Saturday November 17th, Freedom Park in Charlotte, NC! I'm so excited I can't believe it's happening. My friend and co-conspirator Al Estep, aka Black Is The New Pink has blogged the history and future of the walk, so I won't be redundant but will steer you to what he writes.  AIM has put up an official page where you can get more info, register, and donate.

This is already shaping up to be a blast! Anne Stokes Bowman, The Charlotte Chapter of AIM at Melanoma Chair, is busy for the second year in a row organizing this and people are already planning to come from beyond North Carolina and Virginia to participate, and if they're like me, they're coming to meet, get this: Al Estep, writer of the  Black Is The New Pink blog and Facebook site by that name; Chelsea Price, writer of the Adventures With My Enemy...Melanoma blog; Rich McDonald, coming in from Colorado and proprietor of Hotel Melanoma. Susan Visch Hayes/Jilly's Jems writer of Jillian's Journey with Melanoma-A Mother's Story, and Jennifer Marie Christie writer of Prayers for Jen will also be there! Our list is growing and includes Paul Hummel writer of My Journey Fighting Melanoma. Not only will I get the chance to meet them, but we'll walk together and we'll walk with you and for you. Anne has also arranged for a dermatologist to give FREE skin screens!

Being the fun group that we are, we spent a while last night (as I write this), on Facebook, making big plans for that Saturday night after the walk. Plans that include table dancing (them) and singing Hotel Melanoma's greatest hits (me) as I down plenty of black coffee and they down whatever. As Al said, more details will follow and we'll all work to keep you informed. Read about our plans for our Saturday Night after party! Since writing this I've written another post besides the one about our after party linked to above. For now, save your pennies, make your plans to join us, and dare I say it: Get ready for Saturday!



SATURDAY Walk!
SATURDAY Walk!
SATURDAY Walk!
SATURDAY Walk!

Gonna keep on walkin' till we find a cure
Our Saturday walk, Saturday walk
Walkin' to the mission in our
heart and soul
Our Saturday Walk, Saturday walk
IIIII just can't wait,
IIII got a date

At the good ole rock and roll mole
show, I gotta go
Saturday Walk,
Saturday Walk
Gonna rock it up, roll it up
Do it all, have a ball,
Saturday Walk,
Saturday Walk
It's just a Saturday Walk
It's just a Saturday Walk
It's just a Saturday Walk

Gonna walk with my friends till the
day is thru
Our Saturday Walk, Saturday Walk
Talk up all the big things we’re
gonna do
Our Saturday walk, Saturday Walk
IIIIlove them so
III I'm gonna let them know

*repeat

SATURDAY WALK, SATURDAY WALK,
SATURDAY WALK, SATURDAY WALK,
It's just a Saturday walk
It's just a Saturday Walk,
IT's just a Saturday Walk,
It's just a Saturday Walk,

And I am grateful!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Heavens Carol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We didn't party afterwards in Dallas, this is going to be fun!!!!!! I can't wait to meet you and everyone. I am so proud that Jean and Donna arranged for Bobbie to be honored with all her Family coming to.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you.