Thursday, March 31, 2011

Just Call Me "Sparrow"

There's a wonderful old hymn, His Eye Is On The Sparrow, and the chorus is, "I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free, For His eye is on the sparrow, And I know He watches me."

Can I get an "AMEN!"? 

It can be easy to forget though, just how precious we all are to God.  I have permission to use this story, it's true and recently happened.  I won't give any names though to protect the innocent.  But I absolutely love, love this!

There's this friend that I think a lot of who's going through one of those roller coaster times of life.  Something good, really good, happens and right along with it comes something world-shattering, really world-shattering.  And these times are like the animals on Noah's Ark...they're coming two-by-two.

Well, with one of the really good events comes the decision by him and his wife to clean out a room and that involves getting rid of an old piano.  So they decide to donate it which means getting a moving truck and it also involves physical labor.  Which my friend, being a manly man who still loves showing off for his wife apparently, decides to do.  The way he tells this, he's moving this piano by himself.

Which may explain why he drops it going down a step!  Scrapes himself a little (manly men never get scraped a lot!) and the top comes off the piano.  While getting himself and piano straightened up and ready to resume moving, he sees inside the piano and there's a glint of something at the bottom that catches his eye.

Savor this.  At the bottom of the inside of an old piano that's in the process of being taken away from the house and donated and freakishly loses its top and he happens to catch the glint of something.

He reaches inside the piano and pulls out a dusty DIAMOND TENNIS BALL BRACELET that he had given his wife, was expensive, that she had lost and didn't tell him she had lost it, and he's pulling it out right before giving it away with the piano and NEVER knowing it!  I can't imagine!

In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus tells us that not a single sparrow falls to the ground without God knowing it and we're more valuable than sparrows (Matthew 10: 29-31)  Luke phrases it in a way that reminds us God doesn't forget a single sparrow and we're more valuable than a whole flock (Luke 12: 6-7).

Apparently, God keeps his eyes on sentimental objects as well.  And his timing is perfect.  I don't know when his wife lost the bracelet or how it ended up in the bottom of a piano, and none of that really matters.

What matters is, at just the right time for my friend, God reminded him, in a powerful way, that He's got his eye on what he's going through and he's not lost to him.  See, this happened during one of those intense roller coaster moments and he, like the rest of us, need to remember that even when we don't have a clue as to what's going on, God does and God can handle it and us at the same time.  He can bring things together in ways we don't even know need bringing together.

My friend is more valuable than a sparrow and God is watching over him and his entire family.

I've experienced "sparrow" moments.  Remember, when you're on that roller coaster, His eye is on the sparrow and it's on you, too.

Be grateful!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it Carol! And I will be stealing it for my Sunday School Lesson! THANKS! Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you.