Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Not All Melanoma Comes From The Sun Or Tanning: Know The Facts

Currently UV rays (A and B), sunburns, sunscreen, suntanning, tanning beds, and anti-tanning bed legislation are all buzzwords in the world of melanoma. And rightfully so. But they can be misleading also because not all cases of melanoma are intricately linked to any of that. Thirty-five percent to be exact.

People can read what we say and watch the videos and walk away with a very false sense of security and think they're "safe" from melanoma. "I never lay out in the sun." "I always wear strong sunblock and use it correctly." "I've never been to a tanning bed." "I'm not fair skinned or even Caucasian." "I don't fit in any of the demographics I see portrayed." "Therefore, it can't happen to me."

Oh yes it can. Please pay attention as I pull out my calculator so we can do some math.

First, let me say when I pull facts and figures, I don't make them up or just take them from any ol' place. I go to trusted sources and I share those sources. So, from the Melanoma Research Foundation:

"The statistics around melanoma are astounding:
One-in-50 Americans has a lifetime risk of developing melanoma.
 In 2009 nearly 63,000 were diagnosed with melanoma in the United States, resulting in approximately 8,650 deaths.
The projected numbers (according to the National Cancer Institute) for 2012 are even higher with  76,250 diagnosis and 9,180 deaths."   

Keep those figures in mind as we look at the causes of melanoma. Again from Melanoma Research Foundation:

"The greatest contributor (approximately 65 percent) to melanoma is exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays from natural or artificial sources, such as sunlight and indoor tanning beds. It is likely that a combination of family history, genetics and environmental factors are to blame. However, since melanoma can occur in all melanocytes throughout the body, even those that are never exposed to the sun, UV light cannot be solely responsible for a diagnosis."

That means 35% of melanoma cases are NOT attributed to the sun or to tanning beds. Thirty-five percent! Thirty-five percent of 76, 250 is 26,687.5 and since there's no such thing as half a person, let's round that up. 26,688 people will be diagnosed this year and they will not be able to point to UV rays of any kind. That's just this year's projection.

Please read about other risk factors at the Melanoma Research Foundation.

The National Cancer Institute has this to say:
"When you're told that you have skin cancer, it's natural to wonder what may have caused the disease. The main risk factor for skin cancer is exposure to sunlight (UV radiation), but there are also other risk factors. A risk factor is something that may increase the chance of getting a disease.
People with certain risk factors are more likely than others to develop skin cancer. Some risk factors vary for the different types of skin cancer."

While Aim At Melanoma backs up what these other organizations say, they provide a wonderful chart "Top 17 Risk Factors For Melanoma."

Aim also has a page devoted to people who are not Caucasian so they can learn their risks for this disease. This page begins:
"Darker-skinned races produce more melanin, the pigment that gives color to skin and hair and protects the skin against damage from ultraviolet radiation.
Most skin cancer warnings are directed towards fair skinned individuals with blue eyes and blond or red hair who sunburn easily, as these individuals are at greatest risk. Given this fact, one may mistakenly assume that people with darker skin types such as Hispanics, Asians and African-Americans do not need to worry about melanoma.
This is not true. Increased pigmentation does protect individuals from UV - induced melanomas, but there is a type of melanoma called acral lentiginous melanoma (ALM) that occurs even without UV exposure.
This type of melanoma, which also occurs, though less frequently, in the Caucasian population, is sometimes ignored or mistaken for an injury or a nail fungus. Because this particular form of melanoma is often misdiagnosed or ignored, it is often more deeply invasive when it is finally discovered."

And finally, the Skin Cancer Foundation has this page on causes and risk factors.

Let's not forget the children who are diagnosed with melanoma. The reasons young children get it still are not understood, but approximately 500 children, in the USA alone, are diagnosed each year. And like all melanoma cases, pediatric melanoma diagnoses are on the rise. MD Anderson has a most informative section on this topic but please note, "Among children, sun exposure plays less of a role in the development of melanoma. Researchers believe it is a combination of genetic predisposition and other unknown triggers." (emphasis mine).

While we are correct to sound alarms and warn people about the dangers of the sun and tanning beds, we must be careful and informed and not give the impression that all melanomas come from exposure to those sources. That's dangerous and misleading.

There are other factors. We must teach about the whole scope of melanoma and not just the part we are more familiar with.

People's lives depend on that. On us. Learn the facts of melanoma. And when presenting about melanoma don't just pull the UV card and push sunscreen and advocate for staying out of tanning beds. There are literally thousands of people that doesn't apply to and they are getting melanoma too and more will follow.

Information is available. Use it. Learn it. Teach it.

Make people grateful!                                                   

16 comments:

  1. Very interesting post! I never thought about that because I have been so focused on the 65%. Even among them, it is not correct to say that the cause is exposure to UV-light. The correct formulation would be OVER-exposure. There is no research that shows any increase of melanoma among people who have regular and moderate (i.e. non-burning) tanning sessions (e.g. for vitamin D).
    The statistic is also inflated with "thin" melanomas that until 20 years were not treated at all. We should look at the mortality in melanoma which, fortunately, not is increasing.
    I am sure if you took any (internal) part of the body (for example the lungs or the stomach) and put it through such a rigorous scan as we do with the skin during the melanoma awareness month, many small defects could be found that had to be treated.
    My take on the melanoma awareness month is that it is a marketing trick invented by companies making billions of dollars from selling the "cure".
    Read more about that here ...
    http://tanright.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOR, you're not familiar with me or this blog either, I take it. I'm melanoma stage 3b and I can assure that there is nothing remotely resembling a "marketing trick" going on by companies when it comes to Melanoma Awareness Month! And, "cure"? There is no cure.

      What do you say during other awareness months? Are they selling stuff, too, or are they actually trying to be helpful?

      Go back and read my post previous to this one. There IS an increase of melanoma in people, really young people, too, who use tanning beds, at all! No scientific research as of yet that I can point to, but hopefully there will be because I'm sure seeing it over and over in the melanoma community. Trust me, GOR, if you tan, no matter how irregularly, you need to stay vigilant about your skin. The melanoma I'm seeing is particularly aggressive, nasty, and hard to combat.

      That's no marketing ploy and I'm not making a cent. Tanning companies do that. Melanoma Research doesn't.

      Blessings.

      Delete
    2. I don't want you to miss this one: http://letsgivethanks.blogspot.com/2012/05/game-on-tanning-industry-you-dont-know.html

      Delete
    3. GOR, really? Tanned skin = damaged DNA. Damaged DNA is the welcome mat for melanoma. I guess the AAD and World Health Organization are wrong about tanning? I am 34 years old. I was diagnosed in July 2010 with stage 3 melanoma. I never tanned daily, but I did tan. I believed the lies I was told from the tanning industry about a safe base tan. It is a bunch of hogwash. Know this....IF you own a tanning salon, I will be working to change laws. I will be speaking to high school and grade school kids about the lies your industry tells. I won't stop until I'm dead or every tanning salon is shut down. Unfortunately for the tanning industry, I don't walk alone. There are THOUSANDS of people like me.

      Delete
  2. You have a point Carol, several people who doesn't really understand how they get their skin ailments and looking for someone to blame for it. I've red some articles from

    Dr. mercola at http://tanningbeds.mercola.com/tanning-beds/vitality-tanning-bed.aspx

    Most people blames their illnesses to tanning beds and other sources but the truth is they only need to know the right amount of sun exposure that they need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, you're new to my blog, I take it. I hate to break it to you but I'm very far removed from being a Mercola fan. The man has a license to practice medicine in the state of Illinois and sells tanning beds!

      The point I was trying to make is simply that not all melanomas come from any kind of UV rays, though MOST do. We cannot lose sight of the other factors. It's not about looking for "someone to blame" it's about educating ourselves so we can be vigilant and not thinking we're exempt for any reason. Got skin, got organs, can get melanoma.

      Blessings.

      Delete
    2. I don't want you to miss this one: http://letsgivethanks.blogspot.com/2012/05/game-on-tanning-industry-you-dont-know.html

      Delete
  3. How about that you are raising AWARENESS and EDUCATING?!!!! That is never a bad thing- Keep up the great work!!
    ps. Isn't it sad when people think that sunscreen is seasonal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to add a little tidbit here. Mercola is currently being investigated by the FDA and the state of IL due to his claims on his website indicating tanning is safe. Seems like the man has caused quite a stir!

    Keep up the great work Carol educating and raising awareness of this awful disease, Melanoma Cancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that "little tidbit" Susan! You keep up your great work, too. We're gonna beat this!

      Delete
  5. Awesome post Carol!!! I fall under the other under both categories due to genetics and over exposure to the sun in my youth because in the 80's, sunscreen was an afterthought. I have also had cases of skin cancer that were in areas never exposed to the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kisma! I'm third generation myself, as well as the funky mole that saw a few sunburns.

      Delete
  6. My husband was one of the 35%, and although he was only a number and is now only a statistic, he was my world and my life.

    He hated the sun and never even wore a tank top his entire life. His "downfall" was the fact that he had a lot of moles and nevi. So to be "sure," my husband had a specific genetic test (Melaris) done by his dermatologist - it was to see if he had a gene mutation related to hereditary melanoma and/or pancreatic cancer. This was important to him because: 1) my mother-in-law had breast cancer but died from pancreatic cancer; 2) his parents divorced when he was two and had no contact with his father so we were missing a boatload of knowledge there; 3) my husband had an in-situ/grade 0 removed from his temple 8 years previously. So what little family history we did have was not good and we wanted to be extra assured he was okay. The results came back negative for pancreatic cancer (yes! we dodged that bullet and the melanome once again) so we felt pretty good and went on about our lives. He still went to the dermatologist every 6-12 months (as he had for the previous 8 years) and still had nevi or moles removed on almost every visit; they always came back normal or dysplastic. We were told once again everything was okay and to go on about our lives. How silly of us. My husband started having headaches (they always went away with tylenol or a nap) and a little difficulty with an MBA course but nothing that threw up any red flags. A few months later, he was talking while driving a car on a highway at 70mph and absolute gibberish came out of his mouth for a brief a minute - then he was back to normal. He realized it as did I but told him to just concentrate on the driving, and that didn't happen again. Until he had just a horrendous headache a month later and almost drove himself and a friend into oncoming traffic. He couldn't talk and had what was called an altered mental status. Later that night in the ER, I kept going back thru those scenarios over the last 3-4 months and couldn't help but think was it all related and was it pancreatic cancer after all. Imagine my shock when it was stage IV malignant melanoma. 4 brain tumors, a lung mass, and a liver mass. We had done everything every doctor had ever suggested. Semi-annual visits to dermatologists where he had moles and nevi removed. We did "moles patrols" in the interim. Even had a genetic screening test done and it was "negative." If my husband did go out in the sun, he used the highest SPF sunscreen. He stayed in the shade whenever possible. And within 11 months of his diagnosis, he was gone.

    I'm here to say it's not always about the sun and tanning but I will be the first one to stand up for melanoma awareness. You never know who or how or when. If you can prevent it, do it. If you can't, take all the measures you can to keep it under control and under care. Don't lose someone as special to you as my husband was to me. We have no children so I feel really lost without him. I never thought this would happen. Neither did he, and he was only 50.

    Thanks for the post, Carol, and helping others knows about the 35%. I obviously think it is real important.


    Maureen
    RIP WJH 12/1961-1/2012

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Maureen, I am so sorry! Those 35% ARE important! Thank you for sharing and God bless!

      Delete
  7. I'm like a walking advertisement going against what Gor posted. I only used tanning beds before major events, like prom. There was no over-exposure, or even moderate use of the beds. Yet, I was diagnosed with stage III melanoma at age 23.

    Oh, and before Gor attacks me, I do not have a family history of melanoma or a bad track record of sunburns. I just have that tanning bed history that causes my doctors to frown...

    Way to go, Carol, for always handling things with class.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you.