Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Grateful for Gratitude

It's such a small thing.  Telling someone "Thank you."  It's one of the first things we're taught.  How often as children were we told, "What do you say now?"  And we knew, even if we didn't want to say it, we knew the other person was waiting to hear, "Thank you." And then Mama & Papa Bear could smile self-satisfiedly because they had done their job and their little progeny had made them proud...and relieved.  Manners minded.  Check.

As we age, a "thank you" is still music to our mannered ears and we'll silently judge other people's parenting skills by whether or not their children are quick to say those magical words or if they have to be dragged out or if their non-utterance is ignored.  We know who has been taught well and who hasn't based on "please," "thank you," "sir," and "ma'am."  We know.

I received an email today from a total stranger; but she's a well-mannered, wonderfully raised total stranger!  She thanked me for some info I have posted on our church website.  Thanked me for sharing it and making it available on the Internet.  Now, wasn't that sweet of her?

I'm not tooting my horn for going over and above my pastoral duty and putting the info online.  Nope!  I'm tooting her horn for taking the time to say "thank you" and making my day.  She could have grinned to herself over her find, kept going, and I never would have been any the wiser.  But she stopped and dashed off a quick email thank you note.  Didn't cost her a penny.  Didn't take much time.

She did her Mama & Daddy proud. 

And I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you.