Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Guilty Pleasures

I confess. Right here before Thanksgiving, I figure now is as good a time as any to come clean and admit my gratitude for some of the finer things in life that I enjoy.

Halloween. Oh, I can't stand the scarier aspects; and, as "holidays" go, for me, this one really isn't one, but what I like about Halloween is the Halloween candy. This is the one time of year that I can indulge in ridiculous amounts of all my favorites and no one says a word. Not a word! And, hooray! Halloween, in Conway, NC, got rained out this year! I'm STILL enjoying York Peppermint Patties and Reese Cups. We just finished off the little 3 Musketeers, Milky Ways and Snickers. From the look of things, we do need to develop a like for Whoppers, Nestles Crunch, Kit Kats, and Heath. Thankfully, miracles do happen, so we'll see.

Court Shows. Can we say Judge Judy? Judge Alex? Judge Marilyn Milian? For good measure throw in Judge Matthis. I sure do miss Judge Jeanine Pirro. Not all day every day, to be sure, but I find these shows and the people on them fascinating. As a pastor, these shows are an invaluable insight into real lives of real people that I don't get elsewhere. Plus, all that free legal advice has come in mighty handy. TV Court Shows are a huge guilty pleasure that I am extremely grateful for. Halloween candy comes and goes; court shows go into reruns.

So do all the shows on Food Network. Tuesday nights are reserved for "Chopped." Wednesday nights for Restaurant Impossible and Sunday nights for The Next Iron Chef: Superstars (for now) and Iron Chef: America. Sigh. Who could ask for more? OK, I could.

HGTV does like to introduce fans to House Hunters every night, several times a night. National and international house hunters searching for that perfect home. Will they find it? What astoundingly high and unconscionable amount will they be willing to pay for a little bit of square footage in a prime location? My head gets a lot of exercise from all the shaking it does as I watch what people pay big bucks for and get next to nothing.

And paying big bucks and getting next to nothing brings me to the last guilty pleasure I'll confess to: politics. Anytime I want a laugh, I just tune in to who's promising what pie in the sky. Might as well laugh as cry.

Thank goodness for humor in this life! God is good and even when much in this world isn't...

I am still grateful to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you.